Tuesday 5 June 2012

Vintage Style Ribbon Spools

Recently I shared with you my creative space area.  I'm really happy with it, but I didn't like the way my ribbons were stored.


Quite some time ago I saw these vintage style ribbon spools made by Beth at Home Stories AtoZ.

Pinned Image

I loved them, so I though I'd give them a go.  I bought some dowel and some mdf circles and followed Beth's instructions.  I also bought some plain timber sewing thread reels for smaller pieces of ribbon.


I used a darker varnish than Beth, otherwise it's the same.  I drilled holes into the ends and used rubber stamps to decorate the circles.


I changed this end of my shelf to display all my black, white, and silver ribbons.



To secure the ribbon around the reel I used normal dressmakers pins and glued a silver faceted bead to the head.


I removed the big cardboard rings from the rolls of grosgrain ribbon and stacked them on top of each other.



Made some more ribbon spools for my coloured ribbons,


and displayed them at the other end of the shelf.



Now I'm happy.




9 comments:

  1. Hi Kylie,

    They look lovely - it looks so pretty.
    Now could you please come and sort all of mine out 💛

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lou Lou. I would love to come over and play with all your beautiful buttons and I'd have so much fun with your light box too. Kylie

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a neat idea! I think that I'm going to have to give that a go! Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you made these Kylie. Well done, they are stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Kylie! Thanks for your comment over at my blog the other day too, I really appreciated it :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so cute!! You've done a lovely job. I have all my ribbons wrapped around a couple of old rolling pins that are mounted. To keep up with the Spellings I call it my gift wrapping room (it's really our study - ha! - but wouldn't that be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh. I'm going to keep up with the Spellings too and have a gift wrapping room. Would love to see a picture of your rolling pins.
      Kylie

      Delete
  6. I would like my ribbons to be nicely stored like this! What a great idea! I am having a link party today and I would love for you to share this! Hope to see you there!

    xo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...