Why should I drink water?
Because it's good for you!
Tips to build the water drinking habit
- Carry a stylish water bottle with you. Well it doesn't have to be stylish but it helps. Living in Brisbane, water bottles can heat up pretty quickly so I use a stainless steel insulated water bottle to help keep the water cold (Camelback or Thermos are good)
- I take my drink bottle in the car or wherever I go, and try to refill it at least once during the day.
- Drink water at the temperature you like - chilled, room temperature or warm.
- Add a gentle flavour to your water - cucumber slices, a squeeze of lemon or lime juice, mint leaves, slices of apples & strawberries. Don't add cordial and sugar. There is a great article on drinking more water and links to flavoured water recipes at Good Life Eats here.
- This isn't an option for everyone, but we bought one of those fridges with the water dispenser and ice-maker and I noticed a big difference in how much water everyone in my family drinks now. Convenience helps. If you can't do the fridge thing, consider keeping bottles of water cold in the fridge and a bucket of ice in the freezer.
- Herbal tea counts as water.
- If you drink caffeine or alcohol you need to be the water police and fine yourself with an extra glass of water.
- Find triggers to remind you to have a drink of water. Eg: drink from your water bottle everytime you arrive at school to drop off or pick up the kids, or when you pull up at a red light.
How much water should I drink each day?
There are all sorts of guidelines and formula's to work this out.
8 x 8oz (240ml) glasses a day = 1.8 litres
Weight in kilograms divided by 50 (or weight in pounds divided by 2)
Eg: 60kg/50 = 1.2 litres per day
I'm not one for counting and measuring too much, so I follow the Innocent Smoothie Wee-ometer. Innocent smoothies are to the UK what Nudie smoothies and juices are to Australia - healthy and really yummy. I have a copy of their recipe book which you can find here.
So if your wee looks or smells like you've been at the office party or spent a night out with Keith Richards rather than Wee Nirvana or I can pee clearly now, then you need to drink more water.
Remember if you're thirsty, you're probably already dehydrated. You need to drink before you feel thirsty. Now go grab a glass of water. Be kind to your body.