There's nothing wrong with them - they are just boring. To add some interest, I cut strips of timber the same width as the doors and glued them on. I had to use 4mm thick timber as the doors would not slide behind each other if I used thick moulding.
This looked good but it was still a little plain. I have seen some pretty vinyl bird decals and I thought one of these might add some interest, but I couldn't find one I liked and then I remembered seeing Cottage Hill's pretty bird pie safe and I thought I could use the same idea on my linen cupboard.
So with a picture of a bird on a branch as my guide, I free hand painted a tree branch using Jo Sonia's burnt umber acrylic paint. I only painted inside one section of the door as I wanted this to be a small feature.
Then I used mod podge to add two birds from The Graphics Fairy and some pink blossom clip art. I chose to use the red robin graphic as the first ever follower I had on this blog (other than my mum) was Robynne from Robynne's Nest. This way whenever I see it I think of all the friendships and inspiration that comes from reading blogs.
So my linen cupboard has gone from this
At first I was worried that the birds were a bit much, but now I really like it.
Between Naps on The Porch - Metamorphasis Monday
The DIY Show Off - Project Parade
Debbiedoos - Newbie Party
The Girl Creative - Just Something I Whipped Up
The Graphics Fairy - Brag Monday
Home Stories AtoZ - Tutorials & Tips Party
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Tuesday's Treasures
A Beach Cottage - Good Life Wednesdays