Wednesday 17 August 2011

Linen, Pleats and Gardenias

I have sewn new curtains for my bedroom (all by myself). 


Last year I got a couple of quotes to sew a pair of curtains for the two narrow windows in my bedroom.  The quotes were $1,600-$1,800.  Ouch!  I wanted something simple but pretty.  Our bedhead is upholstered in a slate brown/gray colour so I thought a simple beige/gray linen style fabric would work.  I found some cotton fabric that had slubs and texture like linen and I bought blockout lining to help keep out the 5am summer sunrise.  Total cost was about $200.



I measured, I cut, I ironed and I sewed.  I took my time.  I really wanted these to look well made, and I am so pleased with the result.  To add interest to the plain fabric I decided to add rows of horizontal tucks or pleats to the bottom of the curtain.




I also made fabric tie-backs embellished with some brown velvet ribbon and a pretty gardenia.  I think this achieves the perfect balance between masculine (what my husband wants) and feminine (what I want).



The heading is a simple single vertical pleat.  Each curtain is only one drop of fabric as I wanted clean simple lines rather that full and fluffy.



These curtains are largely decorative as we have timber venetian blinds on the windows already.  One day (on the wish list) I would like to replace the blinds with white timber shutters.






I know there are sewers out there that will see the imperfections, but to me they are perfectly imperfect and for $200, I'm not complaining.

Sharing this refined simplicity at:

A Beach Cottage - Good Life Wednesday
The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
Freckled Laundry - Air Your Laundry
My Romantic Home - Show & Tell Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday

This is a lot of link parties for me.  I usually stick to just a few but I worked really hard to make these.  I hope they inpire somebody else the way I get inspired seeing other people's work.

17 comments:

  1. Nice curtain...

    love the fabric you've used its very durable and love the nice details too like the pleats ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job & I Love the bottom pleats!
    Ciao!
    Guerrina in CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric! *swoon* I have been looking for curtains for our house for such a long time as I cant sew to save myself but I think i'll have to hire someone :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant!!
    i love the pleats you've added at the bottom. super stylish.
    (and - a girl after my heart - i too hope for some white timber shutters under my curtains - but stick with the brown wooden blind for now - sigh!!)
    cheryl xox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic job - well done you!!! You should be over the moon to accomplish such a project. I love the fact that you've given thought to the man in your life to try and find a great balance and added such lovely details like the pleats, tie back and flower....B:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those draperies are wonderful.
    They look custom made and the tucks are a brillant idea!

    I am your newest follower :)

    I host a Bunny Hop Party every Wednesday and I would like to invite you. The linky is open until Sunday, but don't wait too long ;)

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Bunny Jean's Decor and More (my main blog)

    ps. Do you know Natasha in Oz? Her blog is 5 Minutes For Me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your attention to detail. I think they look perfect. Last week I found some natural linen at Spotlight. It's usually hard to get at a reasonable price so I snatched up a few meters to make new cushions for my leather sofas.
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so beautiful and elegant. I love them!

    Jenny
    http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! They really look well-made with lovely details. Thanks for linking to BC Good Life Wednesdays

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I'd love to know how you did the pleats. You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow~ so pretty!! I love how your drapes came out! Pleats are so lovely~ thanks for sharing at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. White linen curtains

    Linen Curtains and Drapes Online at SpiffySpools.com. Available in all Colors including White Linen Curtains and Grey Linen Drapes.

    to get more - https://www.spiffyspools.com/collections/custom-linen-curtains-drapes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Timber Venetian Blinds Online

    ReplyDelete
  14. “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks"
    white linen curtains

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. These blinds block all the light and protect your privacy as well. In addition to all the above benefits, Vertical blinds Gold Coast also saves you money as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read your whole blog and i found that its too amazing and informative about blinds & curtains. Please share a blog on Motorised blinds for Windows

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you want to make your room look more cozier, then get the fabulous Shop Now from Drapo. Our collection of elegant curtains add a touch of luxuriousness to your home while maintaining privacy and allowing natural light to filter through

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...