Last year I got a couple of quotes to sew a pair of curtains for the two narrow windows in my bedroom. The quotes were $1,600-$1,800. Ouch! I wanted something simple but pretty. Our bedhead is upholstered in a slate brown/gray colour so I thought a simple beige/gray linen style fabric would work. I found some cotton fabric that had slubs and texture like linen and I bought blockout lining to help keep out the 5am summer sunrise. Total cost was about $200.
I measured, I cut, I ironed and I sewed. I took my time. I really wanted these to look well made, and I am so pleased with the result. To add interest to the plain fabric I decided to add rows of horizontal tucks or pleats to the bottom of the curtain.
I also made fabric tie-backs embellished with some brown velvet ribbon and a pretty gardenia. I think this achieves the perfect balance between masculine (what my husband wants) and feminine (what I want).
These curtains are largely decorative as we have timber venetian blinds on the windows already. One day (on the wish list) I would like to replace the blinds with white timber shutters.
I know there are sewers out there that will see the imperfections, but to me they are perfectly imperfect and for $200, I'm not complaining.
Sharing this refined simplicity at:
A Beach Cottage - Good Life Wednesday
Primp - Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Pink Postcard - Transformations & Treasures
The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
Freckled Laundry - Air Your Laundry
My Romantic Home - Show & Tell Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday
This is a lot of link parties for me. I usually stick to just a few but I worked really hard to make these. I hope they inpire somebody else the way I get inspired seeing other people's work.