Wednesday 31 August 2011

Painted Door Mat

By the laundry door we have a plain jute door mat.


This door gives access to the outdoor kitchen/BBQ area, the clothes line and the rubbish bins so we use it all the time.  It is also seen by guests as it is right next to the downstairs powder room.  I wanted to make it more stylish.  I've seen kitchen rugs painted with chevron stripes and similar designs, but I wanted something different.  Beside the door hang these pictures.


The top half of the laundry door is glass so these pictures are visible even when the door is open.  I love French Lavender.  My husband and I drove the see the lavender fields in Provence on our honeymoon.  So there was my inspiration, I was going to paint the mat in a French lavender theme to remind me of our honeymoon.  This is what I came up with.


I am by no means an artist, so the design had to be simple.  I decided to paint circles to look a bit like a postage stamp with a small bunch of lavender in the centre.


To get the circles even I painted around the edge of a large platter and a dinner plate.  I used black permanent fabric paint.



I cut stencils from paper using an exacto knife.  The type font is Travelling Typewriter from DaFont.  I filled in the space on the sides with a little Fleur de Lys.

So I took a plain boring Cotton Jute mat from this


To this





Much more stylish.

Sharing at
A Beach Cottage - Good Life Wednesday (and Sarah's talking about floors & rugs)
My Romantic Home - Show & Tell Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday

13 comments:

  1. very clever!! it looks great!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous and creative idea!! thanks for sharing....xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  3. so lovely! very clever.
    i love it!
    cheryl xox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this idea! The mat looks so unique and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is such a brilliant DIY. really. the simplicity of the design which you apologize for is actually my favorite part...so clean and appealing to my eye!

    stop by anytime.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a creative idea! It looks very nice!
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so clever and your project turned out so beautifully! I may have to try this!

    I would be delighted if you would link up to Potpourri Friday! Without a doubt, your participation will help make the party better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute and such a great idea. You've done a lovely job, well done! Thanks for adding your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea the doormat looks great!

    I would love it if you come link this up at Scrappy Saturdays @ candacecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOHHH! I love it! I love all things French too(must be because of our surname, lol!)You did a great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project and it sure adds to your door entry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...