Monday 11 July 2011

Making Stylish Stationery

I love pretty stationery but boy it can be expensive.  A pretty journal or notebook can set you back $20-30.  I decided I was going to have a go at making some as a gift for my sister-in-law.



I went shopping and found all these items for about $2 each.  In hindsight I would have paid more for the notebook from a stationery shop to get better quality paper.


For the pencils, pencil sharpener, eraser and binder clips I made up templates so all I had to do was cut out some pretty paper and glue it on with mod podge.  I used a pink and blue floral paper from Christina Re.  Tips - for small scale items like this you need a small scale patterned paper.  Also use a binder clip in a colour that works with your paper - here I used white clips.




For the notebook I covered it with some pretty wrapping paper and made a label 'Goals' for the front.  I glued small tabs of paper to create dividers so the book has five sections.  At the beginning of each section I printed out quotes relating to goal setting from here and glued them into the book.  Again, in hindsight I would probably make the dividers a plain colour as the patterns make the book look busy.





I also covered a spiral notebook with paper and made a label for 'Notes'.  As it's too hard to glue paper around the spirals, pick a notebook with a cover that will work with your paper.



I grouped together the stationery I made and a couple of the bought items - the shoe post it notes and the blue bird magnetic shopping list, placed it in a gift basket and wrapped it up in some cellophane. 



To make the 40 card I cut out a template and placed in on top of a blank card.  I applied a thick layer of pva glue with a brush and sprinkled over the seed beads - I used a mix of pearl, silver and white.



Hope she likes it.

Sharing my creation at
The DIY Show Off - Project Parade
Funky Junk Interiors - Sat Nite Special
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday






6 comments:

  1. Hi! I know what you mean about beautiful stationary...I absolutely cannot pass a newsagency or store like kiki.K without going in to check out the paper merchandise, although I rarely buy anything. That's a great idea you've had there and everything looks gorgeous, I'm sure your sis in law will love it! Do you scrapbook at all?
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks awesome. Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Peaches and Maple

    Hi Cas,
    I love Kikki K too. Funnily enough whilst I love going in to look I rarely buy anything either.
    I don't scrapbook as I tend to use snapfish for my photo albums and I have a love/hate relationship with glue!
    Thanks
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! what a beautiful idea, the last time I covered anything I was still in primary school but as a mother going back to uni next term I will be covering some (cheap!) stationary for sure. The cost of uni is so high these days especially with young ones at home so I wont feel guilty about having some lovely stationary now!

    (Im sure my Hubby thanks you!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such and lovely and creative project . . . your lucky sister.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...